Country Roads of Italy - Preview 2021
Country Roads Of Italy – Preview 2021
Between the major cities, you’ll find little-known gems like Orvieto, Assisi and Perugia, Tuscan hill towns, gastronomic icons, a formidable abbey and Italy’s finest stretch of coastline.
- Orvieto: At a restaurant in the medieval heart of Orvieto, explore the art of Italian cooking with Chef Lorenzo and master the art of making fresh pasta by hand. This is followed by a Highlight Dinner served with a glass of Orvieto Classico wine.
- Radda in Chainti: Learn what to look for in a quality vino rosso, and what foods to pair it with when ordering Florentine cuisine.
- San Gimignano: Enjoy a tasting with award-winning, master gelato maker, Sergio Dondoli.
- Lucca: At a traditional steam bakery, sample Lucca’s famous anise bread, buccellato.
- Modena: Visit a producer of authentic balsamic vinegar to learn about its production, history and distinctive taste.
- Parma: At Ciaolatte Parmesan you will meet, Signoria Afra, a local passionate about Italian food and quality cheese. Witness the cheese-making and ageing process of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Venice: Cruise to the charming fisherman’s island of Burano to enjoy a delicious Celebration Dinner with wine and newfound friends.
- Dining Summary: 15 Breakfasts (B) and 5 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Vatican City: Gain VIP access to the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. Be among the select few to admire the Bramante Staircase, a dizzying spiral of carved stone. Venture inside St. Peter’s Basilica to see Michelangelo’s Piet, and the splendid dome.
- Rome: Explore the backstreets of Rome where a passionate Roman will explain how modern life takes place around ancient treasures like the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and Piazza Navona.
- Perugia: Meet Marta, recipient of a TreadRight Foundation grant. Learn how Marta and her weavers are preserving the ancient craft of loom-weaving at their artisanal workshop.
- Venice: Witness the ancient skill of glassblowing as you watch artisans create delicate works of art.
Top Rated Highlights
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Pompeii Walk with a Local Expert through the cobbled streets of this ill-fated town, frozen in time since the 1st century.
- Sorrento: Perched upon the cliffs, lookout to see the mighty Mount Vesuvius across the Bay of Naples.
- Sorrento: Experience the social ritual of la passeggiata.
- Isle of Capri: Cruise by hydrofoil to this famous isle through beautiful blue Mediterranean waters to meet your Local Expert.
- Isle of Capri: Explore Capri town with your Local Expert and see the whitewashed houses, winding alleyways, small cafes, fashionable boutiques and artisans studios.
- Isle of Capri: Ride in style back to the port by open-top taxi.
- Positano: Drive along the Amalfi Coast to visit this colourful town that looks as if it is almost tumbling into the sea.
- Orvieto: During your orientation of this Umbrian hilltop town with your Travel Director, visit Piazza del Duomo to admire the cathedral.
- Assisi: See St. Mary of the Angels Church and join your Local Expert to walk through the cobbled streets to St. Clare’s Church and see the cathedral.
- Assisi: Discover why the Basilica of Saint Francis is considered one of the crowning achievements of medieval Europe.
- Perugia: Led by your Local Expert, your orientation will explore the Old Town and show you Priors’ Palace, Collegio del Cambio, the cathedral, the Great Fountain and main square.
- Siena: With your Local Expert explore the cobbles streets of Siena. Learn about the Palio horse race while standing in Piazza del Campo. See the 14th century Town Hall and its Mangia Tower.
- Siena: Wander your way through the medieval streets to visit the black-and-white striped marble cathedral, accompanied by your Local Expert.
- San Gimignano: Visit the medieval Manhattan of Italy!
- Florence: Your Local Expert will show you the cathedral, the incredible Gates of Paradise adorning the baptistery, the impressive bell tower and the open-air gallery of Piazza della Signoria. See the area around Santa Croce Basilica, famous for the quality of its luxury goods.
- Lucca: Your orientation with your Travel Director will show you the churches, squares and palaces within the medieval ramparts.
- Cinque Terre: Led by your Local Expert, visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site, travelling by train and boat and dedicated time to explore one of the five charming fishing villages.
- Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, you are serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola, past water-lapped doorways and Rococo palaces.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark’s Square and see the Doge’s Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark’s Basilica.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our compliment…
The Eternal City of Rome.
VIP Vatican and Rome with a Local.
Capri, the Isle of Dreams.
The Picturesque Amalfi Coast.
Pompeii and Orvieto.
Assisi and on to Perugia.
Perugia, the Jewel of Umbria.
Siena and Radda in Chianti.
The Towers of San Gimignano.
Florence and on to Lucca.
Exploring the Cinque Terre.
Modena and on to Parma.
The Magic of La Serenissima.
Farewell Venezia & Bella Italia.